These amazing brownies are adapted from Smitten Kitchen’s Salted Caramel Brownie recipe. They are one of my two most requested items, and the base brownie is also amazing all by itself. In fact, my husband prefers his brownies with no salted caramel at all! He also likes them plain but with Andes mints melted and smeared on top. In fact, these brownies are super adaptable. You can make them with gluten free flour, or coconut flour, or oat flour. You can put some bourbon in them, or some marshmallows, or some nuts, or all three! It is a forgiving fudgey brownie recipe that is well worth trying all on it’s own! However, the salted caramel does take it to a whole new level. Making caramel isn’t complicated, but it is a little bit finicky. The good thing is that caramel pretty much always tastes good, especially in brownies, so if you find your texture isn’t quite right, just go with it!
Salted Caramel Brownies
(adapted from Smitten Kitchen)
- 3 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 1 stick unsalted butter, plus extra for pan
- 1 1/3 cups granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon flaky sea salt or 1/4 teaspoon table salt
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 package semi-sweet chocolate chips
Salted Caramel Ingredients:
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream
- Flaky sea salt
Directions for making salted caramel:
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Add the sugar to a heavy dry saucepan on medium-high heat. Stir constantly as the sugar slowly melts. Continue to stir until all chunks have dissolved and the sugar is a nice copper color.
- Remove from heat and stir in butter until melted. Return to heat briefly to help melt butter if needed.
- Remove from heat again and stir in cream. Do your best to stir until combined, but return to heat before the mixture cools.
- Return saucepan to the stove over medium-high heat and bring it back to a simmer.
- Cook bubbling caramel for a few minutes more, until it is a deep copper color.
- Pour out onto parchment-covered cookie sheet and sprinkle with salt, then let cool completely.
- Use right away or freeze for future use. One recipe makes enough for two batches of brownies.
Directions for brownies:
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- Line an 8×8-inch square baking pan with parchment, extending it up all sides.
- In pot on low heat, combine chocolate and butter together until just melted.
- Turn off heat and whisk in sugar, then eggs, then vanilla and salt.
- Stir in flour.
- Add chocolate chips, and immediately scrape batter into prepared pan, spread until even.
- Cut or break off pieces of salted caramel and lay them across the top of the brownie batter.
- Using a knife, cut the caramel pieces into the brownie mix. Add additional caramel pieces on top to any spots that look a light on caramel.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out batter-free. Don’t over cook!
- Let cool completely, lift out of pan using parchment paper, and cut to desired size.